Search This Blog

Thursday, June 11, 2009

World Earth Day.... few months late


(image courtesy of flickr)

At 9.30pm last night, all the lights in the house went out. It took me half a second to realise what happened and when I looked out the window, none of the lights in the compound were on.

Black out............ brillant.

I crawled around, looking for my phone and called the management office. One local boy answered and said that he will come by and check the systems. Meanwhile, I am starting to sweat, literally cos the fans are off and it was an extremely humid night.
No TV,
No internet,
No fan.
Fantastic.

At 10 pm I was getting impatient and had finally found my torch and some candles. Since it was getting unbearably warm, I went downstairs for a walk and see if anyone else is suffering. Some of the other residents were milling about and a team from the electricity board were poking around the systems. Some of the residents went for a midnight dip.

11.30pm............nothing happens, the guys said they can't do anything and have to call in a 2nd team . Verdict was if they can't do it then we will need a portable generator.

A generator that will fire up 220 units??? I don't think so.

I went back upstairs and packed and called a hotel. Unfortunately it was Oil and Gas week in KL and none of the hotels had rooms.

I mentally went through my friend-list and finally called C. She said I can come by and sleep in her daughter's room. Whew ! So at midnight last night, I took my sorry ass to C's place and woke her family up. Everyone was up when I arrived. C's husband just came back from work so we split a bottle of wine talking about this stupid predicament I was in.

Thank goodness for them, I don't know what I would have done if they didn't answer their phone so late last night !

No comments: