Search This Blog

Thursday, November 12, 2009

Finger licking good

The last time I tasted bbq pork ribs was probably at Tony Romas near Orchard Towers and that was many moons ago. I felt a sudden craving for it and wanted to try making it on my own.

A few weeks ago, some AFC program taught viewers to make blackening spice that can used for seafood or meat. Its origin is cajun and the mixture was not complicated, merely a medley of your regular spices with various salts. I prepared a batch mixing ginger powder, garlic powder, celery salt, coriander seeds, mustard etc.

Different people have different blackening spice concoctions like this one from southernfood.about.com
Ingredients:
  • 2 teaspoons ground paprika
  • 4 teaspoons dried leaf thyme
  • 2 teaspoons onion powder
  • 2 teaspoons garlic powder
  • 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 2 teaspoons black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper, or to your taste
  • 1 teaspoon dried leaf oregano
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
I just use whatever is available and made enough to store in a small canister. Sometimes when I have no clue as to what to make for dinner, I rub this stuff on any meat or fish and grill it. It never fails to please.

For my ribs, I used the same spice but added brown sugar and cinnamon. Normally one has to marinate the ribs overnight but I didn't bother. I was craving some ribs today not tomorrow.

First the rubbing and some cut onions and peppers that will cook along with the ribs in the oven. The oven has been preheated to 150 degrees celsius.


Then in a pot a tiny bit of oil, I sear the meat. The pot is used instead of a pan because I would put the whole thing with its lid into the oven.


After a couple of minutes browning, the ribs were removed and the onions and peppers go in.


When the onions have softened slightly, I added a tin of tomatoes which immediately starts sizzling.


The ribs go back in and then the whole pot sits in the warm oven for 2.5 hours.


At the 2 hour mark, I tested the meat and it was falling off the bone already. The meat was removed and laid to rest while I made homemade beans as a side.

Left over yellow zucchini and a tin of kidney beans were warmed together with a little bit of garlic and oil.


The tomato-y juices that were cooking with the ribs were added to the beans and I sploshed tobasco in, to make things a little spicier.


Finally a little fresh red cabbage and carrot salad completed the dinner. This photo looks terrible, I really have to brush up on food styling.


It was heavenly though. I can't ever become a vegetarian, meat like this tastes too good.

No comments: